Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tricky story to tell

I took Tredegarville School assembly this morning around the story of the woman taken in adultery, as I wanted to talk about non-condemnation, and not ganging up on people who've made bad mistakes. I managed to do so without using the word 'adultery' or bringing sex into it, as one just can't for 5-11 year olds. They do however have some understanding (and some have experience of) family break up, and of a parent being stolen by an outsider. And that's what it's all about - far more than a sex act.

When the inspiration to tackle this story came to me at first I was a bit uncertain about how I could carry it off, but something made me press on with it.
There wasn't a nudge or a giggle. One staff member said she noticed the look of horror on a child's face when I mentioned stoning to death as a punishment. Sad to think they'll grow up into a world where such things do still occur, whether outside the law, or under it.

The assembly was followed by a class Eucharist, at St German's standing in again for Fr Roy Doxsey, who's still out of action. Then the usual lunchtime Eucharist, and David Lee's last lecture in the 'Radical Orthodoy' series at City Church after lunch.

I've published his texts on the
FutureFaith blog page for anyone interested to take a look.


No comments: