Monday, January 04, 2010

Anticipating Epiphany

Thanks to my good friend David Lee, I was able to take this Sunday off. Clare and I went and sat together at the Parish Eucharist in the Cathedral, celebrating Epiphany Sunday, anticipating Twelfth Night on Wednesday. The city too is anticipating the end of the festive season, with Winter Wonderland and Santa's Grotto closed to the public and dismantling today. Many homes will already be taking down their trees and decorative lights. The schools re-open today as well, on the tenth day of Christmas. It's rather sad that we don't make the most of the twelve days of festivity between Christmas and Epiphany, as still happens in parts of Eastern and Southern Europe.

I had an email and some photos from Kath holidaying at Sta Pola in Spain. The Magi arrived there yesterday. She sent a photograph of kids queuing up to tell the Magi what gifts they wanted. I'd not heard of this before, but it has to be better than Santa - three for the price of one?!
Being Spain, I expect public festive activities around the Epiphany will go on for several days. This is a wholesome habit which unfortunately we've lost up here in Britain.

No comments: