Sunday, November 15, 2009

Homecoming

Clare and I were delighted yesterday to welcome our grand daughter Jasmine and her parents John and Rachel back for a stay of nearly two weeks. It's almost exactly three years since Jasmine was nearly born at home here, and a year since they were last over from Canada. Jasmine has grown from a toddler into an active energetic articular three year old, with just a trace of a North American accent and huge blue eyes.

They all came to the Eucharist this morning. I saw Jasmine enter, but she didn't see me untill I called her name. She turned around and called out 'Grandpa' very loudly, turning heads as she ran to greet me. In a congregation that has a considerable number of grandparents, this was a special moment of mutual identification, in which we all took pleasure.

No comments: