Saturday, December 22, 2007

O king of the nations - untimely feasting

An orchestral concert of Christmas music graced St John's this afternoon. To my delight over a hundred people turned up and paid for the pleasure of listening to popular classics brilliantly played by an orchestra of young professionals. I hope it will be the first of many. The orchestra, known as the Lucy J Morgan ensemble would like to make St John's their performance home base.

With the Tea Room closed for the Christmas break I was fearful that there'd be nobody around to keep and eye on the building and the musicians' needs. When I got into church to open up, I found other already there, preparing for services tomorrow, and Ian came in and acted as minder over lunchtime. This was good as it freed me to go to a children's theatre performance at the Sherman, with all the rest of the family. I got there just in time to enjoy the whole thing.

We returned home and had a cold turkey lunch with Chrismtas pudding and a first session of present exchange, before I had to head back to church for the concert - I'd been asked to open and close - it was a duty that turned into an unexpected pleasure. Nevertheless, all jobs done, it was an even grater pleasure to return home and catch up on the week and the family.

No comments: